I'd planned on spending much of my Labor Day weekend beading and catching up on some painting that I've neglected, but that didn't happen. Well, I got some beading done, but not as much as I wanted and no painting. On the other hand, my daughter had her first soccer practice and I giggled hysterically as 4-6 year-olds ran around the field.
I'd meant to post this piece earlier and kept forgetting. I'd started the herringbone chain months, if not a year, ago, originally working on a graduated chain. I ripped out all of the increases, taking the chain back down to its original size and finishing it out with a button & loop clasp, using a brass button I had. I raided my bead stash and found a large orange glass donut that I got in a mix a few years ago. I'm not usually much on orange, so the donut had sat there... with a nice layer of dust :)
I originally worked a 2 Delica-wide ladder around the donut and decided that it needed a bit more "oomph" and added beads on the front using brick stitch and fringe. I was pretty happy with the results, as was my mom, who took the piece within the week!
In other news, I've joined the Etsy Beadweavers in creating squares for Jeanette Shanigan’s 2009 Beaded Quilt. With a grandmother who conquered breast cancer, I'm very excited to be participating in the Quilt Project this year. I've started working on my squares and will post more as I finish them up.