Monday, January 19, 2009

Mother Nature's Night Out

I finished the ISGB Convergence project last week, but hadn't had a chance to photograph it & post until now. Last week wasn't such a good week for the stress level, so I'm trying to start this week off on the right foot!

The Convergence project encompasses the 4 elements. My collaborator and creator of the fabulous beads I got to use was Joyce Rooks. Joyce created 5 beads, called "Planetscapes," that swirled and moved the way one would imagine the jet stream or ocean currents move. I feel so blessed to design a piece around these beads.

In working on the necklace, I wanted to be literal in the representation of the elements, so there's fire, a flower for earth, wind and a drop of water. Each component was created in peyote, including the back copper band. The necklace includes Japanese cylinder beads, Czech glass seed beads (11/0 & 15/0), dyed freshwater pearls, and a sterling clasp. The centerpiece is a circle (for the earth itself) which has 4 tails, one of each of the elements. I'm really pleased with the results. I just need to get some more info from Joyce, but then our entry is off.

1 comment:

SarahKelley said...

That is *so* intrigueing!