Monday, August 25, 2008

Etsy Beadweavers September Challenge



As I mentioned in my last post, I joined the Etsy-Beadweavers group. One of the things the group does is a monthly challenge. September's challenge is "Complimentary Contradictions." For this, I decided to merge metal and wood as the contradiction, using gold-tones in the metal to compliment the wood. I'm pretty pleased with the results.

The gold beads are 2mm gold-plated brass beads which are brick-stitched over wooden rings. There are two rounds of brick stitch on each wooden ring, with the center dark ring containing a textured 6mm brass bead. The clasp is a toggle, with the last ring being the hole and the bar made from gold 11/0 Delicas using peyote stitch.

The Etsy listing.

6 comments:

GrandmaMarilyn said...

Your bracelet is gorgeous. Good luck.

SarahKelley said...

This si such an interesting piece on so may levels-- my favorite thing is how you used the thread as a design element. I've never seen it done quite that was and most people will use fiber but actually thread. Great job!

Julie said...

I love this bracelet - what an interesting interpretation of the challenge! Beautifully executed!

I was not able to find any inspiration for the challenge this month - but I am certainly having fun looking at everyone's creations (as always).

Kerrie Slade said...

A great interpretation of the challenge theme Jama!

Finally got my copy of B&B too and seen the picture of your piece 'The Harvest' - great work!

Kerrie :0)

Jama said...

Thanks everyone! My original thought was to do black & white or something along those lines, but after having seen some gemstone rings beaded for use as toggles, I had to give it a try!

Melody Marie Murray said...

Very nice design! I like it a lot!